Migrate Windows (XP) guests from VMware Fusion to Virtual Box
Kind of outdated toolset, but just that I don’t forget it…
I still had some old VMware Fusion 6.0.6 virtual machines laying around on my Mac OS X 10.9.5. As I was recently using more advanced Virtual Box features, I decided to unify all virtual machine instances with Virtual Box. Turned out this is straight forward, if only you know what you do!
- First of all delete unneeded snapshots as they couldn’t be migrated anyways.
- Then uninstall the VMware Tools (Guest additions).
- Get Disk2VHD from Microsoft Technet
- Export the VHD image with disabled VHDx from within the VM you want to migrate
- Create a new Virtual Box instance, instead of creating a new disk attach the VHD file as harddisk
- Enable IO-APIC
- Start up the VM and install Virtual Box guest additions